What is BPSA?
The Baden-Powell Service Association (BPSA) is a traditional and inclusive co-ed scouting organization in the United States that takes its name from the Scouting movement founder, Robert Baden-Powell.
- We strive to be radically inclusive and have from the beginning.
- We are closely based on Sir Baden-Powell’s original vision of scouting.
- We are volunteer-run.
- We have a narrow focus: scout craft and service. We do only these two things and we do them extremely well.
- We are community-oriented and family-friendly. We have appropriate space for every member of a family who wants to scout.
- We empower youth, building confidence through outdoor skills, and encouraging teamwork and leadership.
- We also foster a devotion to service where these skills are used to better our country and develop good citizenship.
The BSPA is a member of the World Federation of Independent Scouts (WFIS). For more information, please visit: https://www.bpsa-us.org
What is the South Region?
The national BPSA organization is divided into five regions: North East, Midwest, West, South West, and South. Each region has a commissioner whose job is to help individual scout groups, ensure our leaders are appropriately background checked, and provide a conduit of communication and training between the National Commissioner and our members in the respective region.
The South Region is made up of groups spread out across eleven states: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississipi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.
What is this website all about?
Our goal with this website is to build a resource to help scouts and potential scouts all over the south. There is a lot of great information about how to start a scout group, how to run a meeting, and even what to eat for dinner when on a camping trip. We’ll be adding information here on campsites we think are great, service projects groups do in our region, and upcoming training events or regional moots.
This is a work-in-progress and a product of our community. If you have an idea for something you would like to see included, want to write a blog post to share something your group has done, or have a question you want us to answer, please let us know. We are doing this with our Rover motto in mind: Service. How can we be of service to you?